Monday, October 24, 2005

Another glorious Montag

My colleague just brought me some Finnish magazines, Gloria they are called.

I had a lovely weekend full of music. The Ellington concerts were a huge success! I was very stimulated (an excellent word introduced to me by my colleague and travel companion par excelence, Simon) by the combination of a Big Band, 2 Choirs, amazing Solist and a Tap Dancer! It was a great project to be involved in and once again made me realize how much pleasure music and other performing arts really bring me. Especially since my current line of activies are not that fulfilling at all. A very special time of self reflection and growing pains, this Germanic Autumn seems to be. Just my usual autumnal behaviour enforced by bonn'full solitude and work related management issues I guess.

I really miss living in Finland. I have never read Helsinginsanomat or NYT-liite with such intensity before! It is difficult to tell apart missing Jussi, my family, friends and a sense of direction from missing Finland. So maybe if Jussi was here I could cope with not being in Finland and not knowing what I want to do with the rest of my life. All this emotional mess aside, it is becoming clearer and clearer that at the core of all this longing to be somewhere else is my work. I was told (by a HR Professional, no other) to craft my Vision and start steering my life towards that in stead of just always going with the flow, accepting where ever that might take me. I think I am one of those people who've had it too easy in their lifes. Or maybe it just takes being in the wrong places enough times to really know when you finally are in the right place?

This at least makes sense: when deciding on their careers people are guided by their talents, values or interests. I am fairly talented in many things and not exceptionally talented in anything (feel free to argue here! ;-). So that leaves me with my values and interests. It all seems so simple on paper. And maybe it is. Let's see what this all leads to! I must say, it has been an intriguing ride so far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First of all: Right now I would kill for Helsingin Sanomat or Nyt. You lucky bastard!!! ;)

What you say about being "fairly talented in many things and not exceptionally talented in anything" applies soooo well for me too... I would like to do a little bit of this and that and always just for a little while. What kind of job would that be?

I think you are right, when you say you need to be enough times in wrong places before someplace feels right. At least it worked for me: I ended up in Otaniemi after having been in several (and I mean several!) wrong places. :)