Tuesday, July 04, 2006

No Woman Left Behind

I've done something I've been meaning to do for ages; joined Unifem, United Nations Development Fund for Women. It was made so easy; I paid the fee in the internet and yesterday got my first mail from them. A small gesture that feels really good; and also keeps me informed about things in this world that I care about. Even though the Finnish media is probably the best in the world I sometimes feel a bit out of the swim of things up here in the North!

I also found what sounded like the workplace of my dreams... but in London.

3 comments:

jill said...

Hi Kaisa!

That sounds interesting. What does the Unifem do? And as a member, what types of activities will you be involved in? Also looking for an organization wherein I can give something back to the community.

Too bad that your dream workplace is in London! But don't lose hope. Perhaps one also exists in Finland. Good luck!

Take care,
Jennie

kaisallinen said...

Hi Jennie!!

Great to hear from you!! :-)

Straight from their international webpage, www.unifem.org: "It provides financial and technical assistance to innovative programmes and strategies to foster women's empowerment and gender equality. Placing the advancement of women's human rights at the centre of all of its efforts, UNIFEM focuses its activities on four strategic areas: (1) reducing feminized poverty, (2) ending violence against women, (3) reversing the spread of HIV/AIDS among women and girls, and (4) achieving gender equality in democratic governance in times of peace as well as war."

In Finland it is mainly fundraising and dissemination; seminars, school visits and communications. The organisation also hopes to influence the political decision making process and politicians.

Yep, in Finland I just have to dig deeper and make more of an effort... I found lots of dream jobs in Bonn too.. ;-)

LG,
Kaisa

Anonymous said...

Heippa aus Bonn!

Hi Kaisa!
So you are joining this year´s christmas services? Great!!! Rehearsals start this friday. Thanks for the mail and see you soon (or not too soon, who knows...),
Stephan