Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Es wird viel passieren

The other day I found my high-school sweetheart again! I remember how it used to be a part of my daily life... MARIENHOF! Again, I am using the same excuse for watching it: learning more German. Oh, but it is comforting to see how some things never change! The Turkish vegetable merchant, Sülo Ösketürk (or something similarly insanely Turkish!) is still there, as well as the night club "Roxy" where everybody meets in the evenings. Now I just have to try and fit it into my veri bisi agenda... I should think once a week is enough to keep up with what's going on... Even though the slogan is "a lot will be happening" (translation tres difficult this morning) none of the twists in the plot seem to require frequent viewing. Currently my nro one priority is seeing people, second doing enough sports and third having enough time for myself. Maybe I could squeeze Mhof into one of those categories.... But who in their right mind would want to watch Mhof with me? And I would be too embarrassed to be seen watching it at the gym. And I guess watching Mhof alone is like drinking alone or talking to yourself: not advisable. On top of it all, I am leaving the country again in a couple of weeks! So, like most all the other high-school sweethearts, this one will have to go and even though I know there is no real future for us, it still stings a bit! ;-) And Kotikatu just never did it for me, I don’t know why!

The right time this sickening affection towards endless documentaries about the 2nd world war and dubbed foreign films I’ve already seen in original versions ends! Just the other night I found myself smiling at a German TV commercial…! Soon I might start watching the local soaps for real, like verliebt in berlin (an “ugly” girl with braces and plastic eye glasses working in the fashion industry??) or Tatort (this, I guess, is a quality crime series). Down the road there are the endless talk shows with angry lesbians in glimmering outfits and spitting slimy politicians thrown together to entertain the masses with “intellectual” debate. Yes, it is time to depart from this land of green & leathery police uniforms, brezels with beer or radler for women and rudeness as a national sport before I become one of the people who shout at you if you don’t cross the road quickly enough.

On a more serious ending note it will not be easy leaving all that I have here behind, especially since it means building it all up again somewhere else. I hate goodbyes so I’ll probably just end up saying “see you around” to everybody. Luckily the world has become so small that friendships across distances are not so difficult to maintain. Adapting one of the famous goodbye lines in the history of cinema: we will always have Bonn…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marienhof!!!! Tsiisus siita on aikaa, kun sita oon viimeksi kattonu... :)